About / Contact
Iman Tajik is an Iranian artist and photographer based in Glasgow, Scotland. His work is anchored in a strong social interest and demonstrates an effort to make work that is a critical tool connected to international movements for social change. Tajik’s work addresses issues of contemporary conditions of life with a particular focus on migration and globalisation – thereby bridging the gap between art and activism, to create work as a form of socio-political currency, addressing power structures.
He makes installation, video, photography, and performance, also public engagement art, through these mediums, he ’performs the border’. This inspires by personal experiences of crossing geographical borders and socio-political barriers to insist on the right to freedom of movement. Tajik spotlights and stresses the need for resistance towards barriers and boundaries that are implemented socially and politically in favor of some but not all. A contribution towards bridging the divide between self and other is paramount to Tajik’s practice.
Iman Tajik founded Who is? Project by collaboration with Jonas Jessen Hansen in 2017. Who Is? Project has been created as a space to open conversation surrounding the current migrant crisis and the rise of nationalism.
CV is available as request.
2020- UK Art Collections, London, UK
2019- Art Collection of University of Stirling, Stirling, UK
2018- Fleming Collection ( Fleming Wyfold Art Foundation), London, UK
2018- Baillie Gifford, Edinburgh, UK
2017- Migration Collection, Glasgow, UK
Awards and Residencies:
2021 - Art Walk porty Residency, Edinburgh, Scotland
2020 - Glasgow International (GI) Buresery Award, Biennial Visual Ars Festival, Glasgow, Scotland.
2020/21 - Project 20, Stills, Edinburgh, Scotland
2020 - Deveron Project Residency, Huntly, Scotland
2019 - Hope Scott Trust, Visual art fund Award
2018 - Shortlist for Glasgow school of art sustainability prize
2017 - Baillie Gifford Scholarship
2016 - Refugee Festival Scotland Media Awards 2016- Photography
2014 - Refugee Week Scotland Media Awards 2014- Photography
2014 - Embracing Diversity Competition 2014, City of Glasgow College
2014 - The title of ILFORD PHOTO Student Photographer of the Year 2013 – DARKROOM, UK
2013 - UK Student Competition 2013 entitled “Pride & Prejudice”, by HARMAN technology Ltd
2013 - West College Scotland photography Prize 2013 (The best photographer of year) by Calumet
2013 - Scottish Parliament Photography Competition 2013, Scotland
2013 - CBS OUTDOOR photography competition 2013, London, Uk
- 2021 - "Bordered Miles" bursary commission for Glasgow International, Biennial Visual Art Festival, Glasgow, Scotland. https://glasgowinternational.org.
- 2021 - “The Dreamers”, Stills Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 2020 - "Where the Body Meets the Land", Commissioned by Art Walk Projects, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 2020 - “Under One Sky” Global Virtual project, Commissioned by Deveron Projects, Huntly, Scotland.
- 2020 - “This is Now Not Me”, commissioned by ArtReach for Journeys Festival International, Manchester, England.
- 2019 - "From The Other Side", Croute and Commissioned by Tate Modern's Community and social Team and Better Bankside.
- 2019- “Freedom Of Movement”, Commissioned by SRC for Refugee Festival Scotland 2019
- 2019 - “The personal alongside a world of personals", Art Collection University of Stirling, Stirling, Scotland.
- 2018 - "Fleming50, Radicals, Pioneers and Rebels: Artists from the Fleming Collection” Fine Art Society Gallery, part of Edinburgh Art Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2018 - "Crossroads", Who is? Project, posters campaign in Glasgow, Scotland
- 2018- "Who Are They? Who Are We?", Who is? Project, The Hidden Gardens, Tramway, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2018 - "Glasgow School of Art, Degree show", Tonti Building, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2017 - "US+Them", Who is? Project, Isle of Bute, Scotland
- 2017 - "Who is" Exhibition, 'Who is? Project', at Civic Room, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2017 - "GSA 3Y FAP" group show, House for an Art Lover, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2016 - “25% Extra”, Laurieston Arches, Glasgow
- 2016 - "SYZYGY", GSA Group Show, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2015 - "Wet Denim Trackie", group show, SWG3, Glasgow
- 2014 - "Transit Zone" exhibition, Gallery of modern art, Balcony 1 & 2, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2013 - "End of year show", group show, Glasgow City of College
- 2013 - "RFS week", The Arches, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2013 - "Lost life", Paisley Arts Centre, Paisley, Scotland
- 2012 - "End of year show", Clynd Bank College, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2012 - "Lost life", Black History Festival, Union, Stayldclyde University, Glasgow, Scotlan
2019 - The Journal of Unconditional Being, CCA Glasgow, UKhttps://www.cca-glasgow.com/programme/the-journal-of-unconditional-being-publication-launch-and-defence-for-children-greece-fundraiser
2017 - Hopeful v Hopeless, GSA Glasgow, UK
15 and 19 Nov 2020 - Glasgow, UK.
Workshop | making Solidarity project, part of Scotland Interfaith week. More information or Join from here
See Exhibition: Scottish Interfaith week
17 January 2020 - Huntly, UK.
- Artist talk | Friday lunch by Deveron Project, 12 pm to 1:30 pm at Deveron project, Huntly, UK
5 November 2019 - Glasgow, UK.
- Artist talk | The School of Social & Political Sciences | University of Stirling, 10 am to 3:30 pm
26 August 2019 - Stirling, UK.
- Artist in conversation and run a flag-making workshop, Artreach Summer Campus | artlink Central | University of Stirling, 10 am to 3:30 pm
28 June 2019 - Dundee, UK.
27 June 2019 - Glasgow, UK
24 Aug 2018, Edinburgh, UK.
25 Jun 2016, Glasgow, UK
- Trazitzone exhibition, Refugee Festival, Gallery oF Modern Art, Glasgow, UK
• 2020 - The List, https://www.list.co.uk/article/114691-iman-tajik-art-hasthe-power-to-build-and-transform-social-relations-and-to-advocate-for-equality-and-justice/?platform=hootsuite
•2019 - North East of North. June https://northeastofnorth.com/freedom-of-movement/
• 2019 - ART Scottish, Art News Magazine, Issue 30 Autumn 2019 – Paper Magazine- page 24 and 25.
• 2017-It’s Nice That, June Issue https://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/iman-tajik-jonas-jessen-hansen-who-is-
• 2017 - Glasgow Live, June https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/glasgow-lives-iman-34-
• 2017 - Plat forma, May http://www.platforma.org.uk/who-is-project/